You must be aware that Nokia’s Lumia 1020 is called “the best camera phone ever” with an awesome 41MP camera and phone’s best powerful Apps. Let us find about these selection of best essential free Windows Phone apps.
- CamScanner for Windows Phone 8 is a great little app for those who find they need to scan, sync, edit, share and generally manage various items, such as bills, invoices, business cards, or odd notes you’d like to have a digital copy of.
- Before you can start using the app you’ll need to register, this can be done either via email or using the phone number on your Nokia Lumia.
- After you have registered and logged in, you’ll find the app has an incredibly simple interface. You scan documents using the camera on your Nokia Lumia by focussing the viewfinder on the object and tapping the screen.
- As with any scanning software, you can select the parameters of the scan using the framing tool. Once scanned you can rotate the image, or choose the size of scan area. You can further refine the image by pulling and stretching the four corners – once it’s been saved it will stretch the image out to a square.
- When you’re happy with the size of the scan the next action allows you to refine the scan. The options on offer run across the top of the screen, offering, Original, Lighten, Magic Color, B&W and Grayscale.
- On the bottom of the screen is an Adjust icon allowing you to change the contrast and brightness of the image using slider controls. You also have the option to extract text using OCR. After you have finished with the scanned image, the storage and filing side of the app is also highly versatile. You can give the file a name and even add tags to help you keep track of your scans.
- As you’ve registered you’ll also find that documents are backed up online, so you can easily access them from your desktop PC or Mac , if needs be.
- It also integrates with InNote, which is a handwriting note taker featuring a natural digital ink.
- CamScanner for Windows Phone 8 is a free 8MB download from the Windows Phone Store.
With Windows Phone 8’s live tiles, the Facebook experience can be enjoyed when you’re not actively in the application as when you connect your Facebook account with the device, your “Me” photo will update with your Facebook profile image, and the People live tile will also update with your Facebook friends’ information.
Facebook for Windows Phone 8 is also able to take random images from your account and have it replace the image on your lock screen. The actual Facebook application is pretty much what you would expect from the company’s offerings across mobile operating systems.
You’ll be able to access your News Feed, like, comment and share posts and access your favorites as well as chat with fellow Facebook users.
- With this impressive App you can access to Local Files on Phone, SD Card and Skydrive all in one place. This is extremely useful for Windows Phone users who end up using SkyDrive for a lot of purposes including backing up their pictures. While SD card and Phone storage is instantly accessible, you will need to give permission to the app to get access to your Skydrive. Once you’ve done that, you don’t have to login again but it will repopulate the list every time you launch the app and move to SkyDrive section.
- You can also move files from Phone or SD card to SkyDrive. It’s as easy as selecting and long pressing a file to copy it to SkyDrive. However there is no option give to download a file directly but you need to launch the file from SkyDrive and opens in the app from which you can save to phone. The files can be password protected as well which lets you secure important files. This is also possible on SkyDrive.
- You can Delete, rename, move and even password lock files on SkyDrive. This gives you flexibility along with the move feature of moving files to SkyDrive and taking a look at them together.
- If your phone and PC are on same network, you can choose to sync set of files on your phone. This is an easier way to transfer files if you have WiFi. There is a desktop client which will aid in this situation
- Instead of launching media files such as audio, images and videos into external or the default player of the phone, the app has a built-in player to watch videos and listen to music files. Image viewer makes sure to let you watch all image within the app instead of switching to default viewer. You can mark them as favorites and launch them separately.
- The app also supports eBooks which will he handy for book readers. Office documents, PDF documents, text will open in their respective apps, but are recognized by the app natively.
- Similar to other file explorer apps, it cannot read office files individually from SD card and hence follows the extension technique to open or copy them to your phone and then open it. All you will need is to rename .docx to .docxy and copy to SD card root folder. Then launch the app and the files be recognized.
- The app is free to download.
- Installed on your Lumia running Windows Phone 8 you must first create an account.
- You can connect your other social networks such as Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, Flickr, Foursquare or VKontakte to your new Instagram account. This ensures your photo-sharing receives maximum coverage.
- Divided into four sections, Instagram Beta displays; Timeline, Trending, Notifications, and Profile – all easily accessible by swiping from right to left.
- Follow and be followed
- Much like other social apps, following people is the key to seeing new content appear in the Timeline
- To leave a comment to an image, tap on the comment icon and start typing, and if you want to like a photo you can either double-tap the image or press on the like icon.
- Whenever somebody follows you or likes one of your photos, you’ll be made aware of this fact in the Notification section. It’s a good place to see which of your photos are more engaging to the Instagram crowd.
- Your Profile shows precisely what you’ve uploaded and also shows you the number of followers you have, as well as the number of people you’re following. It’s also in the Profile section you can make easy edits to your profile such as adding a bio, or choosing to keep your profile private – if you prefer.
- There are a few ways to upload a photo with Instagram Beta. Launch Nokia Camera app on your phone, take a photo and then from the photo options simply tap on share and select Instagram Beta. This takes you straight into the image editing section of the app.
- This is a great way to make use of some of the great features within Nokia Camera.
- With Nokia Camera you can create Action Shots for extra creativity and share them on Instagram.
- Alternatively, you can select an image by tapping the camera icon at the bottom of the screen within the Instagram app. This will initially show you the photos stored in your camera roll, and tapping the camera icon again will open the camera viewfinder where you can take a new photo.
- Your first step will be to crop your image to make it conform to Instagram’s square photo style. After that, you can apply any of the filters available such as, XPro-II, Earlybird, Rise, Amaro, Hudson, Lo-fi, Sutro, Toaster, Brannan, Inkwell, Walden, Hefe, Nashville, 1977, and others. And of course, you can add a frame, or even use the radial and linear tilt-shift blur to add focus to certain parts of the photo.
- And with the 1020’s 41MP camera, your snaps will look amazing.
Nokia Lumia Windows Phone 8 owners can now choose between Nokia Mix Radio and Spotify for music streaming services as the app has now been added to the Nokia Collection as the latest exclusive app for Lumia owners.
- If you’ve not got an account then you’ll need to register at their website but once you’ve signed up you can log in any time you like.
- There is even a 48-hour Spotify Premium trial, that will allow you to download playlists and listen to them in Offline mode with no connection needed – something Nokia Mix Radio offers Lumia users for free. The premium account costs £9.99 a month and offers no ad, which is something that is a part of the free model.
- Spotify has a huge social element that allows you to share the music you’ve been listening to with friends. Share music on Spotify, Facebook, Twitter, or even via your blog or email.
- Features of Spotify:
– Search, browse & play millions of tracks.
– Explore & play your friends’ playlists, top artists and tracks.
– Stream over WiFi or 2.5/3G – all your existing playlists are available.
– Offline playlists – play your music without an internet connection.
– On-the-fly sync – every track you add to a playlist appears on mobile and computer.
– What’s New view.
– Receive music from friends via the inbox.
– Starred tracks – tag all your favourites into a special list.
– Scrubbing tracks
- Spotify is a 2MB download and is free. You’ll find it in the Nokia Collection on your Nokia Lumia smartphone and in the Windows Phone Store.