As you all know that Nokia Mobiles was acquired by Microsoft a couple of years ago and Microsoft took off with the release of Windows 10 Mobile OS phones but this did not turn out as expected. Therefore now Microsoft has finally released the Windows 10 Mobile OS update for the older Nokia Lumia Devices.
Nokia fans were much on demand for the updates and Microsoft Corporation was a bit lacking on this part and was not fully communicative with the Nokia users. Finally the Microsoft company released the Windows 10 Mobile OS update. Now the users of many older Nokia Lumia phones such as Lumia 1520, 930, 640, 640XL, 730, 735, 830, 532, 535, 540, 635 1GB, 636 1GB, 638 1GB, 430, 435, BLU Win HD w510u, BLU Win HD LTE x150q, and the MCJ Madosma Q501 devices can benefit from the update.
The Nokia Lumia phones that are exempt from the update are Lumia 520, Lumia 1020 and the Lumia 1320 and are therefore not getting this new update.
So that means only a limited set of Windows Phone 8.1 devices will get the updates and the ones that are currently running Windows 10 mobile will not get the updates as of now.
If you own any of the above mentioned Nokia Lumia phones that can be updated then do the following steps to get the new update on your device
Download the Windows 10 Upgrade Advisor app – available free in the Windows Store – where you can easily check for upgrade availability and begin the upgrade
What will the Windows 10 Mobile upgrade advisor app do?
- The Windows 10 Mobile Upgrade Advisor app helps you find out if your Windows Phone 8.1 phone is eligible to install the upgrade to Windows 10 Mobile.
- It can also help free up space on your phone so you’re ready to install the upgrade. When you open the app, it checks your phone and lets you know if it’s eligible to install the upgrade, if an update is required before you can install the upgrade, or if your phone can’t be upgraded.
- If your phone is eligible to install the upgrade, you may need to free up some space to get it. The app will recommend files, such as videos or photos, which you can temporarily move to OneDrive or an SD card, if you have one installed.
- Accept the recommendations, or change which files you want to move. You can even delete some files, if you want.
- If you move files to OneDrive, you need to use this app to restore files back to your phone after Windows 10 Mobile is installed.
Software update for Lumia with Windows 10
Your phone supports wireless Over the Air (OTA) updates and there is no need for cables or a computer; you can simply download and install the update using your phone. Also, your settings, apps, photos, and text messages remain safe and sound.
How to update software?
- Windows 10 is updated continuously, so make sure you follow all the update notifications that appear on your phone.
- You can also check for updates by going to Settings > Update & security > Phone update and tapping Check for updates.
- You can install the update immediately, or postpone the update to a more convenient time.
How to prepare your phone for update installation?
Before you install the update
- As said above your phone needs space. So make some room on your device before you start installing the updates
- You may need to have up to 1.5GB (depending on the phone model and software release) free phone memory to ensure that the software update goes smoothly.
- To check the available free space, go to Settings > System > Storage.
- Charge your phone. Before starting the update, connect to a charger or make sure your phone has enough battery power (at least 50%).
- Be online. Your phone supports wireless Over the Air (OTA) updates and there is no need for cables or a computer; you can simply download and install the update using your phone.
- Use a Wi-Fi network to download the update and avoid mobile data transmission costs.
- Offline update is not possible
- Enable backups. Make sure your settings, apps, photos, and text messages remain safe and sound.
- To backup app data and system settings, to go Settings > Update & security > Backup.
- To backup your photos and videos, go to Settings > Devices > Default camera > Manage OneDrive upload settings.
- To back up text messages, go to Settings > System > Messaging > Text backup.
Begin Installing update
- To view and to install the updates, tap the notification message, and follow the instructions shown on your phone. You can also check for updates by going to Settings > Update & security > Phone update and tapping Check for updates.
- You can choose to install downloaded updates automatically when you are not using your phone, or schedule to install the updates later at preferred time from Settings > Update & security > Phone update > Advanced options.
- The update should take around 15-30 minutes, but a major update could take up to 2 hours to complete depending on your phone model and the number of apps you’ve got installed.
- You are not able to use your phone during the update installation.
- Follow all the update prompts, and do not worry if your phone restarts several times during the process, that is completely normal.
- Depending on your current software version, there can be several updates available for your phone, so you may need to repeat the process to get to the latest version. Follow all the update prompts so that you don’t miss out on any of the latest goodies. To see your current software version, go to Settings > System > About.
What to do after installation
- Make sure you have the latest apps. Additional app updates from the Store could be needed to fully enable new features for your phone after a software update.
- If allowed by your settings, app updates should happen automatically when your phone is connected to a charger and Wi-Fi.
- To check for app updates, go to Store > Menu > Downloads and updates and tap Check for updates. After the update check is complete, tap Update all.
- To enable automatic app updates, go Store > Menu > Settings > App updates > Update apps automatically when I’m on Wi-Fi and tap On.
- Keep your phone updated. By keeping your phone updated with the latest software you can get fresh new features and improvements, and resolve many issues.
What are the new features in the update that you will get for your device
Microsoft has added new ways to create reminders with Cortana by taking a picture of something you want to be reminded about, and also via the Share contract feature in Universal Windows Platform apps that enables such apps to share data.
- The Edge browser now makes it easier to copy and paste information, and has more intelligent handling of tabs. If the user taps on a link in an app that opens in a new tab in Edge, pressing the back button when finished closes the tab and takes the user back to the app.
- There are user interface improvements in Action Centre and Notifications. An app icon is now displayed only once, no matter how many notifications it may have pending, to save space.
- Action Centre is getting a more flexible layout for notifications similar to the way Live Tiles operate, while it’s now possible to manage the notification settings for individual apps and prioritise which app notifications are the most important.
- Microsoft has enhanced the phone lock screen, providing the ability to launch the camera app and control music playback without unlocking the device.
- It also contains a number of bug fixes for problems such as the screen flickering while watching a full screen video, phone calls being dropped if the ringing is interrupted by an SMS notification, and the Start screen getting stuck when locking and unlocking the phone quickly with Action Centre open.
- You will have all new Office and Outlook Mail. Office Mobile apps enable rich viewing and editing of Office documents with an intuitive touch experience designed for your Windows 10 smartphone.
- You even get familiar, rich formatting and layout options, while your files stay in sync across all your devices on OneDrive.
- With Outlook Mail, all your email accounts are brought together in a single place.
Now enjoy your all new Windows 10 OS on your old Nokia supported devices. For those Nokia Lumia phone owners whose device is not listed for the upgrade you need to have patience and wait for some time till you get a new announcement from Microsoft Corporation. Till then enjoy.